Thursday, July 28, 2016

Manila Elemi & Me

I first encountered 'Elemi Essential Oil' in an aromatherapy store abroad. Beside the name was the country of origin, the Philippines.

"Wait a minute, I'm from the Philippines. How come I've never heard of elemi before?"

I started reading up on elemi, and after more in-depth encounters, found myself in love.

Manila Elemi, often called "poor man's frankincense" comes from the sap of pili trees (canarium ovatum) & their relative, the piling liitan (canarium luzonicum) of Quezon. The sticky, resinous sap is steam-distilled for its fragrant essential oil, a popular ingredient in luxury perfumes and personal care products.


Fresh Elemi resin and Essential Oil

Sometimes I feel like Manila Elemi was made just for me:
  • it is a natural analgesic (pain reliever) & great in pain formulations and massage oils - perfect for my fibromyalgia, as it relieves a slew of aches and pains.
  • it is a decongestant - I use this with peppermint in a carrier oil and it works wonders for a clogged nose. Also soothes my coughs and allergic rhinitis when rubbed on chest. 
  • it stimulates and centers tired, stressed, and sluggish minds - a welcome pick-me-up when my brain feels foggy.

Most people who have heard of elemi, however, know and love it as skin food: a beautifying and anti-aging ingredient. Elemi is said to bring life back to dull skin and reduce wrinkles. Simply adding a few drops of elemi can turn your bland moisturizer into a special, nourishing skin treatment. 


For the more adventurous (or industrious), Quinessence Aromatherapy made these recipes: 
Elemi excels as a skincare oil due to its rejuvenative properties.
You can add it to a carrier oil, lotion or cream - the carriers mentioned below are suggestions only.
Anti-wrinkle Blend
• 1 drop Elemi
• 1 drop Lavender
• 1 drop Neroli/Rose
• 15mls Rosehip Oil
Dull Skin Blend
• 1 drop Elemi
• 1 drop Palmarosa
• 1 drop Cedar Atlas
• 15mls Jojoba Oil 
Dry Hands
• 1 drop Elemi
• 1 drop Myrrh
• 1 drop Benzoin
• 15mls Base Cream


For those who want to try Manila Elemi essential oil, please send inquiries to fb.com/everythingpili, fb.com/paleoishop, or SMS +639226246655, 

Full Disclosure: I, "the pili nut", sell Manila Elemi. I fell in love in 2015 and decided I wanted to help spread the word about this little-known Filipino wonder. I also sell pili nuts, pili pulp oil, and pili kernel oil - everything pili! 



No comments:

Post a Comment